Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Memphis Chronicles:To Fly

Run, John, run, the law commands
But gives us neither feet nor hands,
Far better news the gospel brings:
It bids us fly and gives us wings.
-John Bunyan

A friend shared this poem as he spoke truth into my burdened heart.You see, I am guilty of carrying the weight of what I am learning this summer. I now feel somewhat responsible for the brokenness and need within this city because I am no longer naive. As I wrestle with big questions, I think, "Lord, what will you have me do after I graduate? What am I supposed to do with all these wonderful and powerful experiences after I leave here? What is my purpose in all of this?"

The truth is that the law commands me to do exactly what I am unable to do. The law binds me to move in a manner in which I save, I change, and I transform the brokenness in this place out of a responsibility to what I have experienced. I am being moved to act and challenged to see God's work accomplished, but it is rising from within my own self. The beauty of the gospel is that it is the Holy Spirit that is the catalyst for change. It is the Holy Spirit that saves, changes, transforms and moves. His work will continue to be accomplished after I leave here, he doesn't need me in the slightest.

But I'm begging for wings, for I long to be apart of what the Holy Spirit is doing here. I'm praying big, for radical change beyond what my imagination can fathom. I'm asking for comforts and false senses of security to be gone that Christ my be glorified through me.

Freedom of Grace, give me wings so that I may fly.

No comments: