Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Can I at least say hello?


Is December 25Th supposed to be significant to me? Oh my goodness I almost forgot about Christmas! Thanks to finals and homecoming and company and cleaning and blah and blah and blah....


I miss Christmas the way it was when I was little! The month of December would creep slower than syrup and each day I anxiously opened one more door on our countdown boxes. So much anticipation and talking hours on the phone to my friends about what I wanted to get. Running to meet Santa around the block as he roared up in the bright red firetruck. The night before I would lie awake for hours, staring at the clock until the moment came where I could finally wake my sister. We would run upstairs and dive into the moments of eggnog and warm fires, stockings and surprises. The presents seemed to engulf my entire living room, and I savored every moment of that day. I miss that.

These past few years have been different. The month of December seems to pass double-time, and I dread going out to shop and wrap. Christmas days sneaks up, then flies by not even giving me a chance to say hello, how are you? I usually just want to sleep longer, and I can predict everything I'm opening. It's just not the same.

I feel really selfish trying to think of gifts I want when I don't need anything. Why should my parents waste the money? It's all very frustrating to me this year. But I get those moments of christmas with traditions that have taken the place of my imaginative wonderlands. Such as shopping in down town st. Charles, cuddling by the fire, and having movie nights with peppermint ice cream.

I suppose my point is sometimes, I just missing being a little kid.


No comments: